This certainly isn't the first time someone has pointed out the spots on my face. They started when I was in high school. One here. One there. Though they were a big deal to me at the time it was nothing major. Most were on my forehead and chin. They continued through college. When I was 21 I moved to Russia to serve as a missionary for my church. Within a few months it seemed every pore on my face was infected by some new bacteria I had found in the water. I received gentle (and sometimes not so gentle) reminders from almost everyone I talked to that I should wash my face. When I would tell them that I was allergic to the water (it came out of the tap a muddy, brownish color) they would suggest new acne solutions I should try. Six years later I am still looking for some sort of cure.
I have been to several dermatologist and they have prescribed all the tricks. Topical lotions. Oral medications. Some have helped. None have cured. The one I am currently seeing has hit a home run on helping me understand the possible causes of my spots. Hormones. He said that was the reason I have thin hair (I didn't know I had thin hair until he told me... thanks for everything Doc) and why my spots didn't get severe until my 20s. I have been on his medications for about 4 months now with no improvement.
Unfortunately I think my dermatologist is right. I have been living with a hormone imbalance. The cause is less certain. I have a theory that it is related to my diet. That is the reason for this blog. I am about to embark on a "Me and My Face" diet. Over the next month I will be researching foods and their affect on the body. I will be posting pictures and letting you decided whether or not it is working.
![]() |
| Russia. Oct 20, 2010 |
![]() |
| Savannah. Nov 26, 2010 |


It all comes from Grandma Buckley. That's where all the family allergies (hormones?) come from. My whole body was covered by the time I got back from my mission. My swimming and sunshine helped--age too. In fact, grandma claimed that age was the only cure for her with an occasional flair up now an then. Of course, the problem with the age solution is you won't know if it was the age or the medication that did it. Read all about it in Letters to Grandma.
ReplyDelete@: