Not long ago I signed up for my first marathon. This morning I ran five easy miles and decided signing up was a good idea after all. Last night, however, I watched a movie on Hulu, Spirit of the Marathon, and was feeling a little overwhelmed. One thing that got me fretting was these people's obsession with "carbing". Pasta, pasta, pasta. Sugar, sugar, sugar.
Not long ago I started following a Paleo eating style and have never felt better. I am loving this new way of eating and plan on sticking to it forever. Today I decided to practice my Paleo baking skills in preparation for future marathon training. Last night I baked a small pumpkin and mushed all the insides together with pumpkin spices. This afternoon I mixed my spiced pumpkin with eggs, honey, butter, unsweetened baker's chocolate and coconut flour. 37 cookies, 2 g carbs each. Something like this would be a great way to get a little extra energy on a long run.
I don't want to eat all of these on my own, so I am planning on bringing them to a Relief Society activity tonight. Unfortunately I don't think I added enough honey, because they don't taste as fabulous as I would like. In fact, I'm pretty sure no one there will like them. My back-up plan is to serve them warm with some apple butter, upping the carb count to 11g each. That should make them much more delicious, even for the sugar eaters. Maybe I should even add some apples to the recipe next time. I'm sure it would make them much tastier for my race, should I decide to snack on them instead of yucky energy gel or sugary Gatorade.
Other ideas for marathon energy are beef jerky and dried fruit, ideas I've grabbed from various running books and cycling magazines. I like.
The Marathon will be March 3, 2012.

I never used goo for any of my races. In fact, I rarely snacked at the tables where they had fruit (I mean, did any one remember their hand sanitizer? I think not, therefore I eat not.) In my training, I just ate well regularly including before AND after a run or a race. Oh, and I learned to eat right before running. That helped too so my body would just digest the food as I was running. I don't think you will need goo.
ReplyDeleteYAY! Good luck with training!
ReplyDeleteI have to say they were good. Wendy brought some over with her visit here in Florida. Yum, yum!!!! It was great seeing you again Wendy!!!! We love you!!! Good luck With your marathon!!!
ReplyDelete